Schools and programs at KU's Lawrence & Edwards Campus and the KU Medical Center Campus are accredited by relevant governing authorities.
Accreditation is quality assurance through external peer review. When a specialized program is accredited, it has demonstrated that it meets standards set by organizations representing the academic community, professionals, and other stakeholders. To maintain accreditation the institution or program must undergo a similar review on a regular basis. Program accreditation is focused on professional preparation programs within institutions of higher education.
Accreditation by School, Lawrence/Edwards Campus
The following programs in the College of Liberal Arts & Sciences are accredited or approved:
- The on campus M.A. in Applied Behavioral Science and the Ph.D. in Behavioral Psychology are accredited by the Association for Behavioral Analysis International (ABAI).
- The B.S. degree in Chemistry is certified by the American Chemical Society (ACS).
- Clinical Child Psychology and Clinical Psychology are accredited by the American Psychological Association (APA).
- History of Art is accredited by the National Association of Schools of Art and Design (NASAD).
- The Master of Public Administration is accredited by the National Association of Schools of Public Affairs and Administration (NASPAA)
- Speech Language Hearing is accredited by the Council on Academic Accreditation in Audiology & Speech-Language Pathology (CAA).
- Urban Planning is accredited by the Planning Accreditation Board (PAB).
- Visual Arts and Visual Art Education are accredited by the National Association of Schools of Art and Design (NASAD).
The Master of Architecture program is accredited by the National Architectural Accrediting Board (NAAB) and meets the certification requirements of the National Council of Architectural Registration Boards (NCARB).
The Interior Architecture program is in candidacy status with the Council for Interior Design Accreditation (CIDA). The term of candidacy status is five years and began October 2022.
The University as an accredited institutional member of the National Association of Schools of Art & Design (NASAD). Degree and program listing for Design may be found here
The School of Business is an accredited member of AACSB International – Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business. The School of Business and its accounting program hold AACSB accreditations.
In the School of Education & Human Sciences, educator preparation programs are accredited by the Kansas State Department of Education (KSDE) and the National Council for the Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE). Kansas has a state partnership agreement with the Council for the Accreditation of Educator Preparation (CAEP). Doctoral programs in counseling psychology and school psychology are accredited by the American Psychological Association (APA). The EdS program in school psychology is approved by the National Association of School Psychologists (NASP) and the MS in Counseling Psychology is accredited by the Masters in Psychology and Counseling Accreditation Council.
Bachelor degree programs in aerospace engineering, architectural engineering, chemical engineering, civil engineering, computer engineering, electrical engineering, mechanical engineering, and petroleum engineering as well as engineering physics are accredited by the Engineering Accreditation Commission of the Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology (ABET). Bachelor degree programs in computer science and interdisciplinary computing are accredited by the Computing Accreditation Commission of ABET.
The Doctor of Pharmacy program is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education (ACPE). The health-system pharmacy administration residency program is accredited by the American Society of Health-System Pharmacists (ASHP), as is the ambulatory care residency program in Wichita, Kan. Individual residencies programs in community-based pharmacy practice in Kansas City, Kan. and Wichita, Kan. are accredited by both ASHP & the American Pharmacists Association (APhA).
The Kansas Fire & Rescue Training Institute, a division of Lifelong and Professional Education, is accredited by the International Fire Service Accreditation Congress (IFSAC) and Pro Board International Accreditation for Fire Service Organizations to offer fire and emergency service certificates to candidates in the State of Kansas.